Diving in

E'llooo from across the pond! Scotland, I have arrived! If I sound confident, it's because I've had a few days to venture out into the city and have gotten somewhat of a chance to acclimate to this fridgid climate. The deathly-cold Glaswegian weather is quite a change from the drabby-cold Lafayette winter weather. Us Cajuns back home don't even know this kind of cold!! Though, I am loving walking down the streets, bundled up, with my icy breath blowing right out in front of me. Oh, and not to mention the fog. Literally, I have dived head-first into a FOG! The Necropolis cemetery on a hill outside of my hotel greeted me from my window when I arrived on Thursday. After waking from a ten-minute nap, the gravestones' silhouettes were completely invisible, covered by a dense white fog!! Sounds mystical, right? Well, Glasgow dates back to the 10th century, so you can imagine what kind of ancient mysteries and secrets this place holds. Especially in that cemetery.. I was expecting a visit from Casper during my stay at the tower-of-terror-style hotel, but he never came..

I woke up on Thursday when I woke up. My only means of an alarm (my watch) broke, so my goal of the day was to buy a phone. As I was walking out of my hotel, the magnificent Glasgow Cathedral lured me in for a visit. Really, 'magnificent' is the only word to describe the 12th-century cathedral. The enormity of its structure is striking and the beauty of its insides will take your breath away! Stairs lead down to the ancient tomb of St. Mungo. The basement certainly did not lack beauty, and little ornate chapels fill the lower level of the church. After gawking for a while, I walked outside into the chilled, icy weather and onto the church grounds, being careful not to step on the flat, tombstones. Grass grew over some making it tricky to see any names. As I walked, I thought, "who knows, maybe an ancestor of mine is buried beneath my feet.." Possibly even my old cousin, Robert the Bruce?? :)

So, after a long day of navigating the swarming streets of the downtown area, I found myself at a traditional Irish pub called Molly Malones. I ate Haggis for the first time!! It was absolutely delicious! Taking full advantage of my legal age of 20, I couldn't help but order a nice half-pint of Tennent's Scottish beer. (That is not big, by the way..) I soaked in the atmosphere while listening to the drone of Scottish conversations and bursts of laughter, around me. It didn't take me long to realize that I had forgotten to pay as I was walking down the street, so I walked all the way back. My new surroundings were getting the best of me! haha.. On may way home, I heard it. Bagpipes! I followed the sound and came to the large steps of the Royal Concert Hall, where a group of male bagpipers in their kilts were blowing away. I actually asked if I could play my penny whistle with them.. Just kidding! haha..   

After enjoying my first full Scottish breakfast of scrambled eggs, toast, a scone and black pudding, my day couldn't have begun in a better way. I hiked 5 minutes up the road and attended my first Scottish mass at the beautiful little church of St. Mungo!! The congregation greeted the priest as they sang a traditional Scottish hymn in A Capella. I must admit, I found myself trying to match their Scottish accents as we recited prayers. haha.. The fact that one can experience something so familiar, yet be in a place so far away, is so cool. Very comforting, in fact:) Believe it or not, I actually felt a bit of nostalgia today leaving my cosy little Cathedral House Hotel room. I said goodbye to a couple of my new worker friends, whom I met at the little downstairs pub one night:( It's literally one block away from my flat, so I'm sure I'll be back!


I could write and write all day, but it's 8:45 and I think drinks are starting up in this little cafe.. The Scots start early!! School starts tomorrow, so better get back home toniiiight!!

Thanks for reading y'aaaaall! And until next time, peace :)
   

Comments

Popular Posts